Research: We discover your cycle apparel wants and needs
by Angus King
In June 2023, we went out with the aim to understand more about how, why and when you purchase cycle apparel. Why? To better place our efforts in bringing you kit you love be it through design or distribution.
As a UK independent cycle apparel brand, we're happy to share our findings publicly in the hope that it not only provides an interesting read for you but also that it can help other small indies navigate this pot-holed road that is a post-pandemic, cost of living crisis, mess.
Cycle Apparel Research Findings
We could bore you with a lot here so to keep things concise and manageable here are the key findings from the research. If you're a small indie like us and would like a copy of the full report, please reach out at email@example.com.
The survey gathered responses from 250 UK cyclists, with road cyclists comprising the majority of the participants, followed by gravel and mountain bike enthusiasts, who accounted for approximately 20% of the respondents.
Key findings from the research reveal:
- the majority of cyclists predominantly rely on general online retailers for their apparel purchases, while a significant portion, 25%, continue to support their local bike stores.
- When it comes to the factors influencing cyclist’s purchasing decisions, price sensitivity and kit designs emerge as top priorities for cyclists.
- Interestingly, the research shows that factors such as manufacturing location and brand loyalty have relatively less impact on cyclists' purchasing decisions.
- For purchasing regularity, the research shows that cyclists are buying new kit every 6 months, perhaps in-line with the season cycles.
- 70% of respondents prefer lighter colours whilst 54% prefer patterned designs over monotone.
- 76% said they were willing to buy other sport apparel (running, triathlon etc) from their favourite cycling apparel brand.
What does it mean for Moment?
The data is insightful and exciting to see, so thank you to each rider that took the time to complete. In terms of next steps, we will evaluate our current pricing and continue to work on Moment's Workshop (TBC).
The Workshop will bring to life new product lines and designs, and this survey feeds directly into what we put forward there.
More to follow soon!